Students will look at the dates and impact of various responses to
- Students will look at the timeline on the Spread the Light
website for dates when there was a response to crimes against Jews.
- Students will consider questions about the events.
Convene, refugees, response
Look at the timeline on the Spread the Light website for answers to
- When did the U.S. convene a League of Nations conference to
consider helping Jews fleeing Hitler? What help came from the
- In May of 1939, what countries turned away a ship with 930
- In February of 1943 the Romanian government offers to send
70,000 Jews to Palestine. What was the response from Britain and
the United States?
Read your answers in class. Discuss the questions below.
- Is it hard to hear about these events? Why or why not?
- What do you think Dr. Fisch would say about people acting more
like government officials than human beings?
- Does hearing about these events make you more sympathetic toward
current refugees in the world? Why or why not?