Students will consider the connection between words and images.
- Students will read Dr. Fischís description of one of his
paintings in Light From the Yellow Star.
- Students will describe another image in the book.
Represent, symbolize, deprivation, residue, sequence, interpret
Read carefully the first section on page 34 of Light From the
Yellow Star. Dr. Fisch is describing the painting on the facing
page. He tells why he uses these images and what the colors mean to
Turn to another painting in the book and do the same thing. Write
about what you see and what it means to you.
- What does the image represent?
- What do the colors symbolize?
Open your book to the image you are describing and read your
description to the class. Listen as others read about what they see in
- What can we learn from artists describing their work?
- Is the artistís description the final answer or do others have
the right to interpret the work?