Students will consider how elements of surprise make a story
- Students will read about unexpected moments in Light From the
- Students will write about a time when they were surprised by
SS, vile, comrades, ration, humanity, miraculous
Read page 20 of Light From the Yellow Star which describes
several unexpected moments. Part of the power of Dr. Fisch’s story
comes from these moments of surprise.
Write about a time when someone did something unexpected or when
things did not turn out the way your thought they would.
- What had you expected?
- What happened instead?
- How did you react?
- Why do you remember this moment?
Hand your piece in or (if you are comfortable) read it to the
class. Listen as others read about their reaction to surprise.
- Do you think the Austrian woman in Dr. Fisch’s story knew she
was going to throw the bag of apples, or did she surprise herself
- What other surprises are in the book?
- What makes us remember surprises?