Students will use words or pictures to memorialize someone they
- Students will study how the words and illustration on page 6 of Light
from the Yellow Star honor the memory of the people who died.
- Students will express their feelings for someone they have lost
through words, a picture, or both.
Metaphor, memorial, collage, imagery
Look carefully at the words and painting on page 6 of Light From
the Yellow Star. Now think about how people in your family
remember friends or relatives who have died. Draw, describe, or create
a collage in memory of someone you have lost.
Present your completed work to the class and answer any questions
they may have.
- On page 6, Dr. Fisch says "These Words Are Their
Flowers." What do you think he means?
- How does art make it easier to express loss?
- Is it surprising to find flowers in a book about the Holocaust?
Why or why not?