Students will consider the use of art as a way of developing and
- Students will study Dr. Fisch’s image of "dawn in the
- Students will create their own expression of hope and relief.
Expression, hope, relief, liberators
Look carefully at the words and painting on page 26 of Light
From The Yellow Star.
- Why is the arrival of American troops at Grunskirchen described
with the words, "Like dawn in the darkness, thy light
- How does Dr. Fisch’s painting illustrate those words?
Think of a time in your own life that was like a dawn in the
darkness (for instance, being found when you were lost or recovering
from being sick). Create an image or describe how you felt.
Present your image or description to the class and answer any
questions they may have.
- Do you think the American liberators felt like "dawn in the
darkness" when they arrived?
- What might their painting of that moment look like?