LESSON PLAN: GHETTOS
Students will use a timeline to get information about Jewish
- Students will look at the timeline on the Spread the Light
website for information about several Jewish ghettos.
- Students will consider questions about the ghettos.
Look at the timeline on the Spread the Light website for
answers to these questions:
- How many Jews are locked inside the Lodz Ghetto in Poland in
April of 1940?
- In November of 1940, the Krakow Ghetto is sealed with how many
Jews inside? How many are sealed in the Warsaw Ghetto on that same
- In June of 1943, what happens to the ghettos in Poland and
Read your answers in class. Discuss the questions below.
- What do you think of when you hear the word ghetto? Does it have
the same meaning as Jewish ghettos? Why or why not?
- What was the purpose of putting Jews into ghettos?
- At first, some people found comfort in the ghettos. Why would that
be? Why didnít that comfort last long?
Click here for a printable
version of this lesson plan.