Students will use a timeline to follow the growth of the list of
- Students will look at the timeline on the Spread the Light
website for things that were forbidden for Jews.
- Students will consider questions about the activities.
Forbidden, prohibition, banned
Look at the timeline on the Spread the Light website. There
are at least 11 dates when Jews were forbidden (or prohibited or
banned) from doing something.
Find and list 5 examples, including the date and what was
Read your list in class. When all of the prohibitions have been
named, discuss the questions below.
- These were legal prohibitions. What kinds of things do you think
Jews were unofficially stopped from doing?
- Why do you think the laws were passed one at a time? Why might the
Nazis feel that was better than one huge shut-down of all rights?
- Are there things you are forbidden from doing? By whom? How does
that make you feel? How do you respond to the words forbidden,
prohibited, and banned?