Subject: Social Studies
Dr. Fisch says "love overcomes hate." Students explore in
a written argument whether they agree or disagree with this position.
- Students will become familiar with concepts like forgiveness,
justice, retaliation, and moral responsibility.
- Students will be able to choose a position and then present an
argument for that choice.
Retaliation, perpetrators, discrimination, tolerance,
Consider these questions before writing your own response.
- What does Dr. Fisch mean when he says love overcomes hate?
- How did the actions of his father lead Dr. Fisch to that idea?
- Does Dr. Fisch hate all Germans? Does he forgive them?
- Should the Nazis be forgiven for their actions?
- Should the German people be forgiven for their actions?
- If you were Dr. Fisch, would you be forgiving or want to
retaliate? Is there another response?
- What about the Reconciliation Trials in South Africa? Are they
providing another response?
Present your information and ideas in a written or oral report to
the class. Try to answer any questions they may have.
- What can hate do to a person?
- What are the pros and cons of forgiving those who have hurt us?
- Do we have the right to forgive on behalf of others (for
instance, someone who has died)?