Students will use a timeline to collect information about
- Students will look at the timeline on the Spread the Light
website for information about Auschwitz.
- Students will consider questions about the camp.
Extermination, Auschwitz, liberation, crematory, cremation
Look at the timeline on the Spread the Light website for
answers to these questions:
- When was Auschwitz chosen as the site of a new camp? What
country is it in?
- In June of 1943, a new gas chamber/crematory is opened at
Auschwitz. How many crematories does Auschwitz have at that time?
How many people can be cremated there in one day?
- When was the camp liberated? By whom? At the time of liberation,
how many people had been killed there?
Read your answers in class. Discuss the questions below.
- Auschwitz is perhaps the most famous of the extermination camps.
Why do you think that is?
- What do you think should be done with places like Auschwitz once
they are discovered? Should they be kept as they are so people
remember? Should they be destroyed? Should they be remodeled into