Students will consider the importance of people hearing what you
- Students will think about how it felt for Dr. Fisch and others to
realize no one was listening to their cries for help.
- Students will write about a time when they felt no one was
listening to them.
Brutality, confiscated, sanctuary, acquired, fatigue, isolation
Read pages 12 and 18 from Light From the Yellow Star. Dr.
Fischís book is filled with sounds: cries and moans and screams. How
horrible to feel the world could not hear any of it.
Write about a time when you felt as if no one was listening to what
you were trying to say.
- How did you feel?
- What did you do about it?
Hand your piece in or (if you are comfortable) read it to the
class. Listen as others read about their pieces. Notice how many speak
of powerlessness and isolation.
- Why couldnít the world hear the cries of the Jews?
- Would it be possible for the same thing to happen today? Why or
- Do you see a connection between what happened then and the
survivorís need to tell their story?